Kotuku (white heron) nest in only one area in New Zealand- Whataroa, West Coast on the South Island at the mouth of the Waitangitaonga River. It is the only place they are happy to congregate and share space, as they are lone creatures and become aggressive when their territory is encroached upon.
Seen here in their nesting site, their feeding grounds are over the bluff at Okarito Lagoon, where you can observe their behaviour. To be able to access these birds for photography at their nesting site, you can only go through a local tour guide, White Heron Sanctuary Tours. Well worth the trip
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor