I went to lake Eibsee in Autumn during the month of October with my group of fellow photographers and found it to be a magnificent place with plenty of photographic opportunities.
Lake Eibsee lies on the German side of the Bavarian-Tyrolean Alps, 9 kilometres south of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The crystal-clear, deep blue and sparkling waters of this lake, which lies at the foot of Zugspitze mountain in the region of Bavaria and is delightfully embedded in the rocky landscape at an altitude of 1,000 metres. The lake is about 2.40 km long, 850 m wide and has eight islets dotted around its northern side.
Eibsee is a magical place. It’s not an easy task to describe with words how beautiful the colours of the lake are, they range from mostly a crystal turquoise to a deep blue and it is the cleanest (and coldest) in the country. On a sunny day, Zugspitze stands tall in the background and its view is splendid, especially when covered in snow.
The loop trail around Eibsee is beautiful with plenty of paths that go off the trail offering scenic views. The whole trail is 7.1 km and takes about 1 hour and 40 minutes to complete. At some point it’s also possible to walk right alongside the lake but this mostly depends on the water level and time of year. It pays to be cautious if doing so as at some parts there are small pathways that lead you straight to the shoreline which requires climbing down a couple of rocks.
The best time to visit the lake is either during the early morning hours or around sunset as this is when the warm sunlight hits the water and creates a beautiful glow and a thin film of mist.
I highly recommend taking a polarizing filter which cuts down on reflections, haze, and scattered light with you and a tripod as well.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor