Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
The alluring Cuernos spires revealing themselves in an epic 130km/h wind storm. After many months of planning my trip to Patagonia, I could hardly believe my eyes when the late afternoon light broke through the clouds and revealed the full, epic view of the horns. As the stormy weather intensified, I knew the conditions would be perfect for a shot within the dead tree forest.
Finding a shot within the trees proved more challenging than initially anticipated, as many of the dead trees were more of a distraction than a supplementary subject. My traveling partner and good friend Bryce Mironuck and I searched for about 45 minutes with no luck. However, after looking around from an area that we already scouted and almost giving up hope, I saw this twisted, gnarly tree about 150 meters away. My sightline was precisely what this composition is. Even that far away, I knew this shot would be utterly different from most dead tree shots I've seen from this location. From a closer perspective, the composition required tedious maneuvering of the camera to align the mountain within the natural frame created by the trees. My goal was to use the first section of branches to sweep the viewer into the frame, and then allow the arch of the distant branches to direct the attention to the Cuernos. Due to the branches' movement caused by incredible winds, only six out of the fifty images I captured aligned enough to create an accurate focus stack/exposure blend.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor