f/16, 120sec, ISO 200
We spent a few days photographing around the Leknes area before heading south to the town of Reine. Each day we were in the area, we made a stop along the Hamnoy bridge (or nearby) to photograph variations of this iconic scene.
The weather during our stay was largely cloudy, with few chances for open views of the amazing scenery. On this particular day, the clouds were low and looked very solid, with little chance of opening. However, you don't know what kind of light you will get if you don't go out, so we hoped we would capture a picture.
We set up our cameras along the bridge and waited for the weather to break. The winds were blowing around 15-20mph, which made the wind chill feel around 0 Celsius. We waited about 40 minutes before we started to see an opening in the sky, and then the clouds parted enough for us to photograph this scene for about 20 minutes.
The light was almost ethereal as it filtered through the clouds. I put a wide-angle lens on my camera and worked to have as long a shutter speed as I could in order to smooth out the water below.
I worked as fast as possible to have my clients capture this scene as it unfolded and snapped a couple of frames myself. Unfortunately, after just a short time, the clouds blocked off the light, and the scene wasn't worth capturing anymore, so we packed up our gear and headed to the next location.
Only when I reviewed my images that night did I realise how special this capture was.
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours