Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
The frozen floodplains of the IJssel River, close to village called Zalk. When I got there in the morning everything was snow-covered and frozen with a lot of hoarfrost in the trees. That night it had been minus 22 degrees Celsius. So, arctic circumstances dominated the landscape, to say the least. The previous month the water level of the river IJssel were getting higher and the floodplains got inundated. Not long after that happened a period of frost came, so the floodplains froze solid and, on top of that, a small layer of snow covered most of the ice.
Because the river remained unfrozen, there was a coming and going of mist, and every 5 minutes the whole scenery and atmosphere changed dramatically. With the sun trying to do its best to peer through the mist, which sometimes succeeded, but often the mist came back creating a mystical atmosphere. As you can see, the centre of the picture is formed by a huge Willow, full of hoar frost. On the left side you can see the tracks of a Hare.The light, backlight on this picture, was superb! It was maybe the most rewarding photo session of my life till so far.
This place is most interesting during Winter and also in Spring when everything starts to bloom again. Actually, this picture was taken very close to where I live.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor