TAKE PART • WIN $100
I had been staying nearby with a friend who is a fellow photographer. Snow had fallen and, with calm and clear conditions forecast, we had set the alarm early so as to climb to an outcrop to photograph the dawn in the hope that mist would fill the valleys below. Our efforts were duly rewarded and we both captured some good shots of the pre-dawn tones and the sunrise over fog filled valleys.
As the sun rose higher the fog started to lift a bit and we decided to go down into the valley to be in the right area when the sun would start to break through the fog. Dropping down into the fog and driving along a narrow road we passed this almond grove and I was immediately taken with the recession in the trees.
I have seen many photos of woodland trees in fog, and taken some myself, but this was different. With the snow covering the ground and the open structure, spacing and repetitiveness of the trees I was struck by the both the recession and stark simplicity of the patterns they presented. There were many options for potential photographs and choosing the perfect viewpoint was a challenge as I didn't want to go marching in leaving my footprints in the frame of what would be my chosen composition.
I eventually settled upon this composition using a short telephoto lens to compress the scene slightly. After a while, the sun started to break through but somehow the image was not as good – I felt that the soft shadows from the misty sun were a distraction from the simple pattern and recession that I had captured earlier. Satisfied with the morning’s work it was time for breakfast.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor