Canon 70-200mm f/4L
f/9, 1/25sec, ISO 100
I hiked into the dunes in the late afternoon, and the heat quickly got to me. A lone cottonwood was growing in the dunes in the middle of nowhere, so I sat under its shade. I was looking out over the wide dune fields when I decided to see how things would look close up. I put on my 70-200mm lens and scanned the area, still sitting under the tree.
This yucca plant was part of several growing about a quarter mile from me, but through the telephoto view, I could isolate it against the beautiful curve of the dune. When the sun set and the horizon glowed pink, I had the picture I wanted.
Minimalist images may look simple, but finding that beautiful, simple composition in the middle of a large scene is very difficult. Had I not had a telephoto lens with me, I would have never seen this.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor