Burnham Beeches National Nature Reserve is a woodland area in South Buckinghamshire, just west of London. It is owned and managed by the Corporation of London, which acquired it in several parts from 1880 onwards under the City of London's Open Spaces Act (1878). This authorised the Corporation to acquire land within 25 miles of the City as open space for the recreation and enjoyment of the public. Burnham Beeches is further safeguarded by national and international legislation and has been a Site of Special Scientific Interest since 1951 and a National Nature Reserve since 1993. In 2005, Burnham Beeches was designated as a Special Area of Conservation.
Burnham Beeches consists of 220 hectares of wonderful, ancient woodland intermixed with wood pasture, coppice, ponds and streams, grassland, mire and heathland. As the name suggests, it is mainly beech woodland.
The weather conditions on the morning I took this image were ideal for woodland photography. When conditions are bright, the dynamic range of the woodland scene is often too high for the camera to deal with. Overcast days' soft, diffused light results in more manageable lighting conditions.
There was no fog in the forecast and none when I arrived early one chilly November morning. However, as the air temperature started to rise, the mist began to swirl amongst the tree trunks. I found this grouping of trees with plenty of autumn colour and composed the image to exclude the featureless sky. I used the histogram in live view to adjust the exposure to retain the beautiful whiteness of the mist. I also used a polarising filter to reduce the glare on the wet leaves, enhancing the colour saturation and giving the image a more balanced feel.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor