Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Most of the photography tours for Bandon, Oregon, are planned during the spring, to catch some of the wildflowers and the wild rhododendrons. The weather in May can be hit or miss, although better to have clouds for the rhodies. This image is from the end of January last year.
Winter is one of the best times to visit the Oregon Coast. Generally, temperatures are cool but mild, usually in the 40’s and 50’s but we can get a freeze and in some years we are walking the beach in tee-shirts. But winter is the best and one gets a lot of chances for sunsets like the one presented. The clouds can be terrific, and the setting sun can cast amazing pinks, reds, oranges against the local sea stacks. In this case, it is Haystack rock in the center and the mainland on the left.
One of the idioms for this time of year, “if you don’t like the weather, just wait a bit,” Bandon’s advantage is that the coastal mountains to the East are short so the storms blow through. They don’t need to drop any rain until they reach the Cascade’s East of Eugene. So if you wait a little while, perhaps there will be a great North-Wester blowing in off the Pacific with rain, 60 mph winds, high tides and a big surf.
But winter can be dangerous as well, particularly the sneaker waves that just keep coming. Every year there are those not familiar with the coast who get caught in sneaker waves. Even the experienced can have it happen. This last year, when on the beach in the early morning, I got caught up to my waist. Fortunately for me, I was among rocks and able to secure where I was. So Beware.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor