I recently spent time in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the USA. This trip is an annual adventure where I chase fall colors in the abundant deciduous forests found in this area. I created this image near the mouth of the Presque Isle River on the western edge of the Porcupine Mountains.
The weather forecast for the morning called for overcast skies with a possibility of light rain. Conditions are perfect for capturing the saturated fall leaf colors of the deep woods. I arrived at the location just before sunrise, allowing me to scout the area for potential compositions. This image was one of several that I found at this particular location.
The weather forecast proved correct, and the atmospheric conditions were terrific for the shoot. Even so, there were two issues that I needed to deal with for this shot. First, the river forms a gorge at this point in its flow. The rushing water, quite high due to recent heavy rainfalls, created a fair amount of wind movement in the canyon. My location for the shot was just above the gorge on a low-hanging suspension bridge. I was close enough to the water to feel the fine, misty spray blowing through the scene.
I struggled with the wind and mist for about 15 minutes. I knew the breeze would die down periodically. I learned all about patience many years ago, and if I waited long enough, I would have a chance. Eventually, the breeze lulled, steadying the leaves, and I could finally put a few frames of this stunning scene into my camera.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor