f/4, 1/50sec, ISO 100
This is a popular area for cross-country skiing during the winter months, with large open areas interrupted by clusters of spruce and several hills peaking above the tree line. I knew exactly where I was headed for the best surroundings for these conditions and was happy to see that no one had left the prepared tracks, so all the fresh snow was left untouched, offering a surplus of compositions.
It was pretty cold, with temperatures between -10 and -15 degrees Celsius, so I had to move around quite a lot to keep warm. Luckily, I had brought a spare battery for my camera as cold conditions significantly reduce battery life.
The light was amazing, with a warm glow remaining over the horizon. This image was captured about an hour after sunset and just before the moon was about to appear. I tried different compositions but ended up with this one, which was my favourite from this memorable trip.
Editing was done in Lightroom with only exposure and contrast adjustments, keeping the white balance as captured.
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours