White Pocket is a part of Vermillion Cliffs National Monument in southern Utah. Though access to some places in the area is restricted, such as The Wave, access to the White Pocket is not. The restriction that greatly regulates visitation is the access road. The road is not well marked and traverses deep sand for a significant distance. You will need a 4wd vehicle. I would suggest that you use the widest tires available, and take a shovel and wooden boards to assist your exit should you become stuck.
Since I was interested in visiting the area, I watched the weather reports. When I saw a weather front approaching, I rapidly jumped into the truck and started driving. This may sound simple, but I live many hundreds of miles away, yet this is what it takes to get an interesting picture. My idea was to arrive early enough so that I could do a reconnaissance of the area before the low light of evening or morning. Views in the evening were OK, but I waited for morning when there would be more clouds. Sure enough, as I had anticipated, the weather front brought a light dusting of snow during the night. Getting up in the dark, I walked over much of the area to get an idea of the best shots under the circumstances. I thought that it would be best to photograph the scenes before sunrise since the lighting would be very even and not have the huge contrast of the day. During this blue hour, the snow appeared to be the blue color of the early morning sky.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor