In the Waldviertel, the northernmost part of Austria, poppy cultivation is traditional and an important economic factor. A special poppy for desserts, edible oils, chocolate and the like is grown here. The poppy blossom at the end of June/beginning of July is only in full bloom for a short time. Every year it is exciting to see whether the weather conditions for the poppy blossom allow for exciting lighting moods. At the time the picture was taken, the weather had been cloudy for a long time without exciting lighting moods. Also on the special day there was a dense cloud cover all afternoon and gray on gray typical for this area.
After hours of wandering around to the most diverse blooming poppy fields, I was incredibly lucky at one of my favorite spots shortly before sunset that the sun finally made it through the cloud cover.
The image is a two-line panorama composed of 16 exposures. Original size: 180 x 100 cm (5.90 x 3.28 ft).
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor