Rural space holds many memories of the past that we usually associate with built heritage, such as monuments, houses, and old streets and roads. Many rural landscapes are themselves memories of the past when preserving wilderness or human presence in harmony with nature. Unfortunately, some supposed modernizations of rural areas often result in replacing old paths that continued to serve perfectly for their intended purposes, the transit of people and animals, with uncharacteristic roads of asphalt, without traces of the presence of life.
I felt the memory of the human presence in the rural world in harmony with nature when I walked this ancient path near the source of the Alviela River in Alcanena, Portugal. It was winter, and most of the trees were bare of leaves. Ivy crept up the tree trunks. An old warehouse beside the pathway survived the time, although it is no longer in use. The Alviela River ran fast and was full of water. The sun shone in the sky, and the light hit the trees, creating a mosaic of lights and shadows on the old track. This atmosphere was captured with a Hasselblad X1D in crop mode.Upload YOUR Picture • WIN $200 Cash
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor