Rural space holds many memories of the past that we usually associate with built heritage, such as monuments, houses, and old streets and roads. Many rural landscapes are themselves memories of the past when preserving wilderness or human presence in harmony with nature. Unfortunately, some supposed modernizations of rural areas often result in replacing old paths that continued to serve perfectly for their intended purposes, the transit of people and animals, with uncharacteristic roads of asphalt, without traces of the presence of life.
I felt the memory of the human presence in the rural world in harmony with nature when I walked this ancient path near the source of the Alviela River in Alcanena, Portugal. It was winter, and most of the trees were bare of leaves. Ivy crept up the tree trunks. An old warehouse beside the pathway survived the time, although it is no longer in use. The Alviela River ran fast and was full of water. The sun shone in the sky, and the light hit the trees, creating a mosaic of lights and shadows on the old track. This atmosphere was captured with a Hasselblad X1D in crop mode.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor