Santa Barbara often experiences morning fog that will partially or completely obscure the beautiful Channel Islands that lie about 25 miles offshore. This photo was taken at dawn, looking out over the Santa Barbara Channel, with Anacapa island peaking above the fog in the distance. I often take photos at sunrise here because the combination of ending blue hour and emerging daylight with fog can create some remarkable colors to light up the coastal scene, as they did here. I chose a very long lens for this shot to isolate the fishing vessel just before it entered the fog bank. The fog bank, island, and cloud layers are greatly compressed and appear to loom over boat.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor