After a foggy and bumpy five-hour car ride, followed by a white-knuckle zodiac boat ride, I was beginning to wonder whether coming to Quirpon Island, Newfoundland on a family trip had been a horrible decision. My fears were assuaged, however, as soon we made our final approach to the island and I looked up to behold something that I had been waiting years to see. A massive iceberg appeared out of the mist, and in an instant, I knew that this would undoubtedly be one of the best trips of our lives. I stood slack-jawed, completely in awe at this incredible sight, and as soon as we landed, I ran down to the rocky shore to get a closer look. I was so caught up in taking photos that I missed the ride up to our accommodations at the Quirpon Lighthouse Inn, and the initial excitement that I felt that foggy afternoon never dissipated as I spent the following three days giddily photographing these icy, ancient beauties.
This photo was taken on the first morning of our trip, as we waited for the thick sea fog to dissipate before going out in search of more ‘bergs in the zodiac. The tide this morning was just right, and I framed this shot to include the ocean cascading down the foreground shoreline while the iceberg ominously glowed through the mist in the background. The icebergs that can be found floating the icy waters around Newfoundland are 10,000 - 20,000 years old and have spent 4-6 years drifting down after calving off the glaciers of Greenland.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor