Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8
f/16, 1/30sec, ISO 100
I contemplated using my 10-stop ND filter to slow down the water motion, but I really liked the way the waves were breaking along the shoreline.
I chose to use my 14-24mm f/2.8 wide-angle lens because I wanted to include a dramatic foreground with the waves crashing on the rocks – I liked the drama of the waves. I had my tripod low to the ground, which offered me the perspective I was looking for.
The wind was pummelling me, and it was a challenge to keep the tripod steady, which is also the reason I chose to be low to the ground. Because of the wide-angle lens, the mountains appear smaller than they actually are, but that is the compromise of using a wide-angle lens with a pronounced foreground.
The color in the sky was glowing with fuchsia and orange hues. Weather in Montana can present a challenge as it is often extreme, but you never know what can happen from one moment to the next. You will never capture the picture you may be looking for if you do not try, even in challenging weather.
Glacier National Park in Montana is a tough place to go wrong, even during inclement weather, but it offers excellent opportunities for compelling compositions any time of the year. Access is somewhat limited during winter as the park receives a large amount of snow. I honestly prefer the autumn season due to the dramatic skies that can occur during the months of September and October.
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours