I am fortunate to live near the tip of the Door County Peninsula in Wisconsin. Our peninsula extends about 75 miles into Lake Michigan and has several hundred miles of shoreline. It is a major tourist mecca and is a delightful place to shelter in place during our current pandemic. It is also a great place to explore by drone, and in this composition, I am looking down at Europe Lake and in the distance is Lake Michigan. I had seen this composition in the spring, and at the time, I thought it should be a great autumn color composition, so I had been waiting all summer for this and hoping the fall would be a good one. Well, fall came on schedule, and indeed was a very good one.
Planning this image really was mainly waiting for good fall foliage and good directional morning light. I am looking south down the peninsula and wanted the scene to be lit by the rising sun. On the morning of October 14, 2020, I went over to this spot at sunrise to beat the rain and strong winds that were forecast and which did arrive about an hour later in the morning. In a perfect world, there could have been more sun on the trees, but the light and conditions were still very nice. Fall season in Door County is a very popular time for visitors, but peak season is difficult to accurately predict and can be anytime from mid to the end of October.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor