Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8
f/11, 1/250s, ISO 400
The wind was drifting the snow everywhere. The roads were icy and covered in layers of snow. I drove partway to Grandview Point but decided to turn around. While making my 6-point turn on the narrow road, I was momentarily stuck. While shifting into 4WD low range and looking behind me, this tree appeared in the corner of my eye. Whoa! I finished my turnaround, got out of the vehicle and took a closer look.
It was gear time! I am pretty sure the temperature was about 0 degrees without the wind chill factor, but I was still willing to work the image despite my hands starting to curl with the cold.
I absolutely loved the curve of this lone juniper. As I was composing the picture, a little break in the storm allowed a warm light into this freezing and darkening scene.
A couple of exposures later, and it was back to my 'running-with-heater-on' truck. A few days and a little processing later – and this is my Beautiful Gnarly Tree!
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor