Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
I am fortunate to live in Wisconsin at the tip of an 80 mile long peninsula that sticks out into Lake Michigan. There are wonderful photographic opportunities in every season but my favorite time is winter. That does not mean that it is always easy or pleasant to photograph at this time and this image is a perfect example of that. I am always waiting for interesting winter conditions and unfortunately these occur most often when temperatures are around zero degrees fahrenheit and lower.
One evening in mid January I saw that it was forecast to be ten below zero with no wind the following morning which should be ideal conditions. I had recently scouted this stretch of Lake Michigan shoreline and found these ice formations on the shore and knew that at sunrise I could expect some interesting opportunities. I also was happy to see open water a distance from shore and with no wind, I might see some “sea smoke” as the lake water condensed. I was on site well before sunrise and composed this scene with my 14mm lens and then waited for the sun to appear and do the rest.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor