When I go to Iceland on a photo trip, I usually look for something unique that stimulates my senses. This can be a location that has been photographed millions of times before but at a different angle or with unique weather conditions.
I visited Vestrahorn and drove to Eystrohorn, Krossanesfjall, to photograph this unique mountain. My goal was to photograph Eystrahorn from above the water line. Unfortunately, it soon became apparent that this was impossible due to strong gusts of wind, which is very normal in Iceland during fall. Not to worry, though, because this happens to a landscape photographer more than once when the weather gods have something different in mind than expected.
When I found a nice composition from land to photograph Eystrahorn, I saw in the corner of my left eye a rain front coming in with the sun behind it. This was toward the back of Vestrahorn, Stokksnes. It was so far away that my 100-500mm telephoto lens proved necessary. When making the composition, I was afraid that the photo would be overexposed, but it turned out that this would actually be of added value to the picture.
I also noticed birds gliding through the wind. I made several images to get a bird in the right place in my composition. It was an incredible feeling when everything fell together. I knew the picture I had taken was one I had been looking for – one with atmosphere and drama.
Even though I didn't capture the picture I envisioned, I couldn't top this on that day. Iceland never disappoints, and bad weather does not exist. Make the most of every moment and every place.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor