Sunrises in Kaikoura can be truly spectacular. Located on the upper east coast of the South Island, we are amongst the first in the world to see the sun rise over the South Pacific at the dawn of a new day, and being one of those few places where snow capped mountain peaks meet the vastness of the blue ocean, the landscape is especially beautiful in morning light.
This image was made in late August, the end of our winter. Plenty of snow remains on the high peaks of the Seaward Kaikoura Range to the left of the frame, and even Mount Alexander (1,197m) in the centre has more than a dusting. In this image we are looking predominantly north, towards the Marlborough region and indeed the North Island (not visible at sea level from here).
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor