Sunrises in Kaikoura can be truly spectacular. Located on the upper east coast of the South Island, we are amongst the first in the world to see the sun rise over the South Pacific at the dawn of a new day, and being one of those few places where snow capped mountain peaks meet the vastness of the blue ocean, the landscape is especially beautiful in morning light.
This image was made in late August, the end of our winter. Plenty of snow remains on the high peaks of the Seaward Kaikoura Range to the left of the frame, and even Mount Alexander (1,197m) in the centre has more than a dusting. In this image we are looking predominantly north, towards the Marlborough region and indeed the North Island (not visible at sea level from here).
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor