The lakes and bayous found on the Texas-Louisiana border region in the United States are fascinating places to explore any time of the year, but the fall season is the best as far as I am concerned. The southern states have many other swamps and bayous, but I enjoy this region the most. The stars of the show here are the Bald Cypress trees in their autumn finery.
As in any fall season, the exact timing of the peak colors is weather-dependent, so if you don't live in the area, there may be a bit of luck involved in visiting at just the right time. In 2022, it turned out to be a very tricky year to be here at peak season.
First, the fall season was about two weeks early and then a nearby tornado and high winds about a week before I got there stripped a large percentage of the leaves away. However, with some patience and exploration, pockets of great color could still be found in protected areas. It is not an easy place to photograph, and a small boat or kayak is the best way to get around and explore.
There are a lot of photographers here at this time of the year, but the area is so extensive that it is easy to get away quickly and not see anybody else. I came across this tightly packed group of cypresses very early in the morning and was immediately drawn to the extensive Spanish moss gently swaying in the breeze.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor