I am addicted to photographing ice in all of its many forms and shapes. I have had this love of ice photography for decades and I have traveled extensively over the years in search of it and so far, the three best and most productive places that I have found are right where I live near the shore of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin, Greenland and Antarctica, where this image comes from.
A few years ago I traveled to Antarctica on a ship that was reserved for photographers and we had a simply spectacular trip. I researched different trips until I found one that would give me the best opportunities for interacting with ice. It certainly was the most concentrated seven days of ice photography I have ever experienced and we were fortunate to have perfect weather every day.
Several times each day we were in zodiacs prowling near, around and under the edges of icebergs. This sunset composition of a large iceberg is typical of the opportunities from this spot called the iceberg graveyard in Pleneau Bay. The water in the bay is reasonably shallow and when icebergs float in here they can become grounded and stay sometimes for years until they melt away.
We had explored this bay in zodiacs at sunrise for several hours and then returned again around 9 PM until sunset because the weather conditions remained so perfect. We very slowly circled this wonderfully sculpted iceberg several times as the light continued to get better. I had actually photographed this scene early that morning but in this instance the sunset light was better than sunrise light.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor