Nestled at the foot of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, these two structures are known as the "Sam House", named after the owners of the property. They haven't been lived in for years and are a favorite among photographers who visit the area, just south of Lee Vining, California. I travel here often as it's a magical place and often free from the clutter of people, who mostly head for nearby Yosemite. There is much preserved from days past, and many places of interest to photographers and non-shooters alike. A hiking and camping paradise all year round.
In this scene we see a winter storm descending onto the houses. The sun is making a valiant effort to shine through the clouds, but it will soon be covered. It's a scene right out of the Old West, of which these two buildings are a living testament. However, I was standing next to a modern highway. U.S. 395 winds down the backside of the Sierra from Susanville, California down through Reno and Carson City, Nevada and back into California connecting many small towns to each other and the world.
What captured my attention was the shape of the incoming clouds along with the sun still peeking through, creating those beautiful but subtle beams. The dichotomy of the clear blue sky with the clouds of the approaching storm creates a powerful contrast. In the mountains the weather can change in an instant.
Unfortunately, time has not been soft on these structures and the building on the left has since been destroyed. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to capture these reminders of a prior way of life, and sad that they will soon be swallowed up and returned to Mother Earth. It is the fate of everything.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor