I was out early to catch fall colours during sunrise at a favourite location about an hour drive southwest of Calgary. After taking some wide angle shots of the sun starting to hit the Rocky Mountains peaks in the distance, I noticed how the rising sun was hitting different parts of the landscape right in front of me. A zoomed, more intimate shot, was in order.
The double S-bend in a valley bottom is a classic photo location in this provincial park and, as I watched the light develop, the trees near the valley bottom started to light up, while adjacent trees and the road remained in shade, giving a real 3-D pop to the colours.
It didn't last very long but it was definitely a decisive moment and my favourite shot of the day.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor