The Milky Way shimmers amidst a rush of star trails above the Rio Chama, viewed from Georgia O'Keeffe's famous overlook.
On a September evening in 2020, I ventured to Abiquiu, hoping the sky would remain clear enough to create astrophotography images. After assessing a handful of potential locations, I settled on this classic location, a favorite of artists since Georgia O'Keeffe.
I watched the crescent moon set over the mesa after sunset, and set up my camera and tripod while I waited for the sky to grow dark enough to clearly see the Milky Way. Double checking my setup, I started my intervalometer and and enjoyed the quiet darkness.
In post-processing, I created several edits from the images I captured that night - and ultimately decided to blend a stacked star trails image around a single shot showing the brilliance of the Milky Way. This image was the final result.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor