Like so many of us, I have been focusing my attention on local landscapes over the past year. During the month of August, the sunflowers begin to pop in the fields surrounding Rochester NY. I had been scouting this particular field on my way home from work and knew it was primed. This simple sunset scene is one of the many compositions I have been exploring with these sunflowers close to home.
The key for this shot was getting low and really close to the sunflowers with my 11-24mm lens and then just waiting for the light to do its thing. I also used a 3 stop graduated Nisi filter to hold back some of the light in the sky. During my first few visits to this field the weather didn't quite cooperate and produced a lackluster sky. On this particular evening I was finally able to incorporate a sky with some more dynamic clouds to help frame the sunflowers.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor