This location has been an iconic scene that I've wanted to shoot for a few years. Frequently in the winter it is known for having interesting textures and shapes in the ice over the lake. Sometimes the shapes can look like little frozen waves. The key is to get there before there is so much snowfall that the ice is covered in snow.
In a previous year I tried to hike up to it, but I wasn't prepared enough to make it the entire way. At the end of 2021 planned a trip while hoping for the right conditions. I got up early and thankfully when I arrived the parking lot wasn't full, which is a common issue at this location. I made the roughly one mile hike up the snow-covered trail. Once I got to the lake I needed to put slip-on spikes on my boots. Then I went on the hunt.
I was looking for those waves. What I found was some really nice cracks in the ice that were great for leading lines. I probably looked pretty funny to others out there. Because order to get the shot, I lowered my tripod to the ice and ended up laying on the ice myself. This is one of my favorite photos from that day at Dream Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor