This location has been an iconic scene that I've wanted to shoot for a few years. Frequently in the winter it is known for having interesting textures and shapes in the ice over the lake. Sometimes the shapes can look like little frozen waves. The key is to get there before there is so much snowfall that the ice is covered in snow.
In a previous year I tried to hike up to it, but I wasn't prepared enough to make it the entire way. At the end of 2021 planned a trip while hoping for the right conditions. I got up early and thankfully when I arrived the parking lot wasn't full, which is a common issue at this location. I made the roughly one mile hike up the snow-covered trail. Once I got to the lake I needed to put slip-on spikes on my boots. Then I went on the hunt.
I was looking for those waves. What I found was some really nice cracks in the ice that were great for leading lines. I probably looked pretty funny to others out there. Because order to get the shot, I lowered my tripod to the ice and ended up laying on the ice myself. This is one of my favorite photos from that day at Dream Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor