Holy Hill is an iconic location to photograph year-round here in Wisconsin, USA. I have been up to the area several times to photograph. I have taken daytime shots, moonrise over the cathedral, as well as nighttime photos. But it is especially beautiful in Autumn when the leaves turn their bright colors.
This basilica is located on the top of a glacial kame, or knob, and is one of the highest points in southeastern Wisconsin. It is a religious shrine that attracts about a half million visitors worldwide yearly and is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The view from the observation tower is extraordinary, and on a clear day, the skyline of the city of Milwaukee, 30 miles (48 kilometers) away, is visible.
This image was taken with a DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Although there are signs everywhere on the grounds saying no drones are allowed, that doesn't stop one from taking a drone shot from a distance off the grounds. At first, I thought taking such a shot would make the cathedral too small in the picture. But since the trees are such an important part of the story in this image, the distance shot worked out very well.
If you visit, be prepared to do some hiking and woodland photography. There are many trails on the cathedral grounds and in the area. Not far away is the Ice Age Trail, a National Scenic Trail stretching 1,200 miles and winding its way throughout the state of Wisconsin.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor