f/5, 1/50sec, ISO 100
Governed by the Navajo Nation, the formation is in the Four Corners region and plays a significant role in Navajo religion, myth and tradition. It is located in the centre of the area occupied by the Ancient Pueblo People, a prehistoric Native American culture of the Southwest United States often referred to as the Anasazi. Shiprock is a point of interest for rock climbers and photographers and has been featured in several film productions and novels. It is the most prominent landmark in northwestern New Mexico. In 1975, the National Park Service designated Shiprock as a National Natural Landmark.
This is the first time I have visited this location in many years. This time I wanted to find a composition that would show the massive rock but also a blend of Shiprock and the surrounding environment. Besides the rock, wall-like sheets of Minette, known as dikes, radiate away from the central formation. I decided the long line of the Minette sheets would make a strong line leading to the rock. To put it all together, I worked for some time flying my Mavic 2 Pro drone, searching for the best place for the composition. Eventually, I decided the location in the image was what I was looking for. Now that I knew where I wanted to make my image, all I had to do was wait for sunset.
Photographing with my drone is what I consider just another tool for image-making. The one thing that limits the drone's use is its battery which is good for about 15 to 18 minutes. That is the reason I worked hard to find the composition before sunset.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor