This photograph was taken on September 14th, 2023, at 17:17, near the village of St-Cuthbert, Quebec, Canada. I was scouting for interesting landscapes in this agricultural region. Approaching the area, the weather conditions were mixed. It was sunny on one side and dark cloudy on the other side.
When I saw this lonely big tree and the distant rainbow, I had to stop and park the car on the side of the road. The lighting conditions were unbelievable. An illuminated field supporting a gorgeous tree contrasted with heavy dark clouds painted with a rainbow! I did not take the time to set up my tripod as I was afraid to lose the rainbow in the scene.
I overexposed by one stop to have a perfect histogram (ETTR) and took the shot handheld. I used a 140 mm focal length to compose the image. After this shot, I continued scouting in this visual paradise. Eight minutes later, at 17:25, I had to stop again to seize an unbelievable scene. This last is published on my LPM portfolio.
Once again, it confirms that scouting in cloudy conditions may be worthwhile.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor