Over the last few years, I have established a routine of going camping, hiking, and taking photos in the southern Califonia state and national parks, typically one or two times a month. During the past year that I've been working from home due to COVID, these trips have been an essential part of staying healthy and somewhat balanced during these difficult times. Apart from a few periods where California was in lockdown, with park and campsite access restricted, I've been able to get my regular fix of the outdoors while maintaining social distancing and other health precautions.
Last summer, after a few weeks of confinement in my home office, I was 'itching' to get out and explore. So I squeezed in a one-night camping trip to Joshua Tree National Park and another overnight camp in the San Bernardino National Forest above Big Bear Lake.
After a fun day's wheeling on the 4WD trails that criss-cross the Forest near Big Bear, we opted to camp high-up (at just under 8,000 feet) to escape the heat and were extremely lucky to find this spot and to have it to ourselves.
As the sun started to set, the color spread across the hazy sky, creating a gorgeous backdrop and picking out the layers of the ridgelines receding into the distance. I took this image just 50 feet from our campsite - what a perfect ending to a great day out.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor