This photograph was taken in Cervinia in the Aosta Valley from Cielo Alto in the early hours of the morning. Sunrise in Cervinia is something simply fantastic to say the least, with a sky that gradually increases the shade of red around the majestic Matterhorn.The photograph was taken with a Nikon D90 camera with a 35mm Nikon lens resting on a tripod. It offers a great resolution due to the power to increase brightness.
I highly recommend using it early in the morning and at night. This lens is fabulous as it lights up colours incredibly even when you think you are getting a totally dark shot.The sky takes on these vivid hues due to a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering; red light passes through while a small amount of blue and purple light is scattered and removed from the mix. The Sun, therefore, looks yellow for us here on Earth. I suggest also to underexpose to enhance these beautiful effects. The best season to pick these beautiful colors is definitely spring.
In a place like Cervinia there is no real spring as winter is long and summers are very short however in the months of April and May when the cold subsides and the weather improves it is easier to observe a clear sky free from clouds especially in the early hours of the day. The mountain is so magical, it offers a wonderful range of colors to be captured throughout the year, its soft and romantic dawn lights give great energy and great peace to the body and soul, there is no joy greater than being able to contemplate it.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor