TAKE PART • WIN $100
This is a location that I had been to on several occasions before I planned this particular photography trip. This sea arch is known as The Breeches and is located at Crohy Head on the north west coast of Ireland in County Donegal several miles outside the small town of Dungloe.
I had been thinking of this particular composition for many months and planned it so that it coincided when the sun would be going down just to the right of the sea arch. To find out when and where the sun would be going down at this particular time and location I used “The Photographers Ephemeris” which can be used for this purpose.
To get this composition, I had to climb down quite a dangerous ledge onto a very slippery rocky beach, make my way very carefully to this spot that I had checked out on a previous visit and then all I had to do was wait for the right light. To give the image some impact I connect a Lee Big Stopper Filter to give me some movement in the clouds and the water. There was quite a contrast in the exposure of the sky and the overcast sea and rocks in the foreground, so I also attached a Lee 0.9 ND Grad filter to reduce the differential.
At the end of the day I was very pleased with this image that I captured and it made all my planning worthwhile. This is a great location to visit at any time of the year. Because of its location on the Atlantic coast there is always a good chance of large wild Atlantic surf waves breaking onto the rocky beach. Well worth a visit.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor