My wife and I had a trip to northern Arizona in September of 2015. One of the things that we wanted to do was to visit a remote area called Coyote Buttes North, which features a very beautiful sandstone formation called The Wave. The area was formerly sand dunes, compressed into rock, then folded and eroded to reveal the curved layers. It is in a protected wilderness, and you must have a permit to visit. There are two ways to get one of the few permits that are available: by online lottery or in a local lottery at the Kanab, Utah Visitor's Center
I applied online, but did not get a permit. During our trip, I also went in to the local lottery several times, but no luck. Back home, I continued applying online. Alas, I kept coming up empty.
After a second visit in 2019, we made one final plan to stay in the Kanab area for our spring 2021 trip. The odds in the local lottery are around 100 to 1 per drawing, much better than the online one at 1000 to 1 or worse. Amazingly though, I hit for an online permit on a very good date during our planned stay in Kanab. I was so happy!
On the chosen day, we loaded our backpacks with food, water, and photo gear. The Wave trailhead is located down a rough dirt road, and then it is a 5.5 km hike to get there over sand and slickrock. We arrived late morning, which is a good time to shoot there because you do not want shadows falling across the formation.
I took a lot of wide shots from various angles, as the Wave presents quite uniquely from different directions. This is one of the classic views, and my five year quest was complete.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor