In 2019 my wife and I took our first ever cross country road trip from Michigan to Arizona and Utah. We were gone about 4 weeks and enjoyed it so much we decided to do it again last year. We planned to start out with a week in Page, Arizona. Part of the plan for Page was to do photo tours of a couple slot canyons that we had not done in previous years. We booked the first tour, but got a call later in the day that all activities within the Navajo reservation were being shut down for Covid.
We had a list of alternative activities and decided to try renting a boat on Lake Powell. I looked over maps and satellite images of the lake and decided that we would head for a location in an isolated bay.
The weather was nice, with sun and partially cloudy skies. There was a bit of breeze but only light chop on the water. We started out for the bay, and the further we went, the nicer the terrain became.
After about two hours, we were just entering our target bay, which was rather more narrow than the rest of the lake that we had traveled through. Here the wind dropped to near zero, and the glassy water provided many nice reflections of the landscape and sky that this area is known for. I shortly found that I had to take care not to upset the water with the boat. Shooting from the boat also meant no tripod and no long exposures, but I was still pretty pleased with the photos I was getting.
This was one of my favorite shots from the lake, with the red rock hills and beautiful cloud patterns reflected in the water.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor