Waking up in the Valley of Dreams was really like not waking up from a dream at all...
Slightly South of Bisti Wilderness Area in New Mexico, an ancient remnant of lush, wetlands and forests in the age of dinosaurs lies desiccated and broken - The Valley Of Dreams. These are small areas were the skin of the land is torn open from erosion to reveal geologic and out of place structures and formations. And just like Bisti, it completely lacks trails and directions.
On this adventure, the plan was to find and photograph the Alien Throne and surrounding features as the planet flipped the sun from one side of the horizon to the other. Even though waterfalls, rain forests, glaciers and mountains are obvious places to soak in the Earth’s energy, I have always returned to the desert - seeking the company of her more primal and subtle soul. The stoic features of the Valley of Dreams is a perfect meeting place of such a search.
The camera was battery dead from the all night captures for the star trail project. I state this because that’s what was going through my mind as my camping companion urgently and excitedly described a sunrise rainbow with his animated hands while a toothbrush jutted out of his mouth. I scrambled out of the tent and fumbled fresh batteries into the camera as the sprinkling rain and flickering lightning commenced. If it were not for my travel companion, I would have likely missed the double rainbow and stayed in the tent, safe from the morning rain. You never know when nature will express herself - and not care to wait for you to be ready.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor