TAKE PART • WIN $100
The Covid-19 lockdown measures have prevented me from travelling more than 5kms from my home for the past 3 months. However, I am lucky in that my home is surround by bushland, and as its Springtime here (Southern hemisphere ) we have an abundance of native wildflowers, and in particular a large variety of native Australian orchids. Most of these orchids are quite small, and this particular example, the spotted sun orchid (Thelymitra ixioides ) measures about 20mm across. Although the plant can grow to about 60cm tall, this one was about 25cm. It can vary in colour from mauve, to soft pastel blue to quite dark purple, with up to 20 flowers on the stem, usually a lot fewer though. I found a cluster of these flowers on the north west facing slope on my property about 200m from my house. The medium format Pentax 645 with the 120mm Macro lens is an excellent combination to photo these exquisite orchids. Its a heavy combination but its stable and provides super sharp images.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor