Lingering storm clouds after sunset cast a soft light over the salt crystals on the Cottonball Basin plain in Death Valley National Park. The light on the crystals is magical in the few minutes before and after sunrise and sunset. The salt crystals glow in the subdued light.
I elected to make this a monochrome image to draw out the contrast.
We walked a mile out into the basin to get the best point of view of the salt flats. Like on the sand dunes, you must be careful where you walk to avoid footprints in the image frame.
My 5D Mark III sensor needed over three seconds to capture the light. Fortunately, the clouds were not moving quickly. However, be careful when photographing out on salt flats. The minerals can quickly ruin any electronics and nylons. Bring a plastic bag if you put anything on the ground.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor