This picture is one of the classic images of the Palouse prairie in eastern Washington state, USA. Smooth curves is what the Palouse is all about. There is an endless number of field compositions and borders.
My trips to the Palouse started when I was in college as I would drive from west to east toward a summer job location. It was a convenient place to stop and break up the drive. Workshop groups now frequent the area. I am glad that I was there long before all the commercialization of the landscape. It seems like this mode of operating is all too familiar now as the world is getting crowded.
The best time to take a look at the Palouse is, perhaps, early June. This is a time when the spring plants have grown significantly yet before the plants have indistinct borders. Also, as the summer continues, the green colors of spring usually fade. The patterns are still nice, but it is good to have some green.
The times of day to visit the area are usually just after sunrise or just before sunset. The whole project may sound simple, but the problem is knowing where to go. You will want to spend a lot of time in reconnaissance, so be sure to go very early. The area is large. There are a lot of possibilities. Furthermore, the concept of simple photography of fields is hardly the case. You will have to find just the right symmetry and patterns in your compositions. Telephoto and moderate telephoto lenses may be the most useful. If you can actually approach a field with good patterns in the distance, a wide angle lens may also be useful.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor