This is a long-exposure black and white image of a torii in Shosanbetsu, Hokkaido, Japan. This image is very unique for it was taken during the winter of 2019. It was very tough going to Shosanbetsu from Biei the first we visited the shrine in winter. We had to drive more than 10 hours (two-way) on a freezing coastal road where the wind was blowing 40 mph. From the parking, we had to walk on waist-deep snow to reach the gate. The sky was full of clouds and the scene was devoid of color except the red torii but it was all worth it. This is one of the the few torii in Japan that freeze during winter time. I was very lucky to witness and capture it partly covered in ice.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor