Louise Bourgeois’s “Maman” or “The Spider;” bronze, marble and stainless steel, approximately 30ft x 32ft x 38ft. Bourgeois writes “The Spider is an ode to my mother. She was my best friend. Like a spider, my mother was a weaver…..Like spiders, my mother was very clever. Spiders are friendly presences that eat mosquitoes. We know that mosquitoes spread diseases and are therefore unwanted. So, spiders are helpful and protective, just like my mother.” The French word Maman translates as mom or mommy, the appellation a child uses for his or her mother.
Maman (1999) is one of the artist's most ambitious and recognizable works. The sculpture is a monumental steel spider, almost 9 meters tall. The creature has a sac containing 10 marble eggs located at its underbelly and its abdomen and thorax are made of ribbed bronze. It is the largest of a series of spider sculptures that Bourgeois created. Bourgeois’s spider also represents fertility through the sac of marble eggs and explores an ambiguous notion of motherhood: the animal is protector and predator……it also evokes awe and fear, yet her massive height, improbably balanced on slender legs, acts at once as a cage and as a protective lair, conveying an almost poignant vulnerability
There was nothing particularly challenging in obtaining this shot. We were on a trip to Northern Spain with one particular goal to spend some days in Bilbao for the Guggenheim Museum there. Our hotel was across the street from the museum and on this morning, I was up early to shoot the museum and its various elements. I had previously noticed how the lighting from below accentuated to bronze structure and gives it a dramatic contrast against the dark sky. Probably the only thing challenging was to manage the shutter shake from the A7r by clamping down hard on the tripod. By then, Sony had been able to mute the problem with firmware updates.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor