South Georgia Island lies 1,300 miles from Cape Horn in the cold water of the South Atlantic Ocean. This remote island is uninhabited by humans. It has no airstrip, rescue or other emergency service, nor is there cell or Wi-Fi service.
South Georgia Island has a storied past and played an important role in the history of Antarctic exploration. British polar explorer Sir Earnest Shackleton made the island famous with his Endurance expedition, one of the greatest survival stories of all time.
The whaling industry started in the early 1900s. After South Georgia Island became the world's largest whaling center, the shore-based, commercial whaling and seal industry ended in the mid-1960s with a significant reduction in the number of whale species, making the industry economically unviable. Today it is home to a substantial portion of the world's penguins and a plethora of seabirds and southern elephant and fur seals.
In the incredible weather and light of the South Atlantic Ocean, we were able to photograph the stunning, awe-inspiring, and breathtaking coastline along with the many icebergs of many colors and a variety of sizes that had broken off glaciers in Antarctica and gotten swept towards the shallow continental divide that surrounds the island.
This trip was epic. It's not difficult to lose yourself in its (mostly) unspoiled beauty or come away with a reverence for Antarctic explorers of centuries past. And like many other fragile environments, this island faces many threats necessitating a need for protecting the wildlife and marine environment.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor