Spent a rainy weekend in the Seattle/Oregon area and thought we would make a trip along the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic drive to photograph the waterfalls that blanket the drive. However, after a few hours of getting soaked, we decided to take a break and get something to eat.
After a short but nice lunch at the Multnomah Falls Restaurant and Lounge, we decided to head back up to Seattle, but before we made the trek, we headed back along the scenic drive to capture the waterfalls in between rain squalls.
After photographing Horsetail Falls, I took a second to capture the clouds as they blanketed the cliffs above the waterfalls. The gorge stretches over eighty miles, with the Columbia River winding westward through the Cascade Range.
Taking the drive on a weekend can be a little stressful with all the traffic on a narrow road, and I recommend if you want photographs of just the waterfalls and not 20 to 30 of your closest friends that you have never met in the foreground, then try a weekday.
One of the most famous or photographed is Multnomah Falls, and one of my favorites due to the scenic trail to get down to the falls is Bridal Veil Falls. There are more than a dozen waterfalls that are either just off the scenic drive or a short hike to get to. Additionally, just across the Columbia River on the Washington side, you can find even more waterfalls to photograph in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest region. Do your research and make a weekend out of chasing waterfalls. To capture them all, it will take more than a weekend, so enjoy.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor