Yosemite National Park is a special place for my family and me. We made our first trip to the park in the early 2000s, and since then, we have visited every season when any opportunity presents itself.
Last fall, we made another trip back, hoping to catch one last chance to photograph the Milky Way, but as we started to leave the valley after a day of hiking and photographing, I noticed that the moon was beginning to rise. The mountain ridge made for an excellent foreground from the valley floor as the moon raced across the night sky.
I tried to bracket the ridge for more details of the tree line but ended up sticking with a small grove of trees in a depression along the ridge. Although the view only lasted a few minutes, I am glad I waited. I wonder what the same photo would have looked like if this was a full moon lighting up the entire ridge line.
I try and plan trips to locations and specific things I want to photograph, but some of my favorite photographs come from spontaneous opportunities. Only recently, I started looking at Yosemite National Park as an astrophotography location, but after my first-night shoot from the base of Sentinel Dome, I was hooked.
If you want a spot to photograph the milky way, I highly recommend Olmsted Point along Tioga Road as a safe spot to start from.Upload YOUR Picture • WIN $200 Cash
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor