This photograph was taken above Vercelli at a suggestive panoramic point. The mountain that can be seen in the background now at sunset is Monte Rosa, the largest mountain massif in the Alps, the second in height after Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in Switzerland, Piedmont and the second highest in Italy.
This peak represents the link between Piedmont and Valle d'Aosta, not only a “tres d’union” from a geographical point of view but also from a cultural and traditional point of view. Just think of the Walser traditions of Alagna and Riva Valdobbia in Alta Valsesia and Issime and Gressoney in the homonymous valley. However, the city of Vercelli, framed from above, and Prarolo and the rice fields of the Vercelli area are the places with the best framing of Monte Rosa, a 360-degree view that includes the top of the Matterhorn nearby.
One might think that the areas of Valsesia, such as those mentioned above, could offer suggestive shots. Still, if you want a complete background, it is preferable to go to the neighbouring areas of Vercelli. I recommend capturing Monte Rosa in the evening, in the quiet evening, with a slight underexposure to capture the actual pink colour on its summit.
This photo captures the historic centre of Vercelli from above, the dome of the Cathedral, with the last light. Natural elements make this city more beautiful with an increasingly difficult climate, too hot in summer and harsh in winter. Thank my friends Maria and Piero for their hospitality at this fabulous panoramic terrace.Upload YOUR Picture • WIN $200 Cash
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor