I live in California, and I took the opportunity during the heat wave in California to drive to Sonoma Coast. It is only 21 miles and a 50-minute drive from my house. However, the weather is always colder, between 10 - 20 Fahrenheit less, depending on the season. I checked the weather, and the forecast was cloudy. When I arrived in Bodega Bay, the weather was currently overcast. I was hoping for some sunny spell, but it did not seem it would happen. It was low tides and walking on the beach; I was looking for a landscape composition and wanted to take the opportunity to use the diffuse light from the sky.
I was standing my feet in the water. I used a tripod and a ND8 filter to get an exposure of 1/5 seconds to create a movement in the water. I knew I would blend different shoots of the same view to get what I had in mind. I was looking for a high-contrast final image. I combined three photos, one for the sky exposure and two for the shape of the waves. In post-production, I increased the white to give more contrast without playing with the highlight in the tone section.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor