This picture was taken on the 15th of June 2022 during my vacations in the Basque Country, in the south west of France. I woke up at 5 a.m. that day not to go take photographs but simply because I'm an early riser and I love the first hours of the day. I hadn't planned anything because I checked the weather forecast the night before and there was nothing to be expected from this morning.
As usual, I took my coffee outside to smoke a cigarette (bad habit, I know). What was my surprise to see that the all village of Saint-Jean-Pied de Port was shrouded with fog or low clouds. I knew there was no time to lose if I wanted to get above the clouds and fortunately, I had spotted a place on google earth where I could get in 15mn or so.
I left my coffee and cigarette with no remorse and grab my bag. I drove as fast as I could on the narrow winding roads that lead to the Refuge d'Orisson. It's quite well-known to people who undertake to Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage for it is one of the last before the spanish border when you come from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.
I arrived just before sunrise and was above the cloud inversion. I took many photos that morning, but I've chosen this one for the purpose of the assignment. I think we (nature photographers) live for that kind of moments when nature unveils its beauty to us. That morning will stay for long in my memory.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor