This picture was taken on the 15th of June 2022 during my vacations in the Basque Country, in the south west of France. I woke up at 5 a.m. that day not to go take photographs but simply because I'm an early riser and I love the first hours of the day. I hadn't planned anything because I checked the weather forecast the night before and there was nothing to be expected from this morning.
As usual, I took my coffee outside to smoke a cigarette (bad habit, I know). What was my surprise to see that the all village of Saint-Jean-Pied de Port was shrouded with fog or low clouds. I knew there was no time to lose if I wanted to get above the clouds and fortunately, I had spotted a place on google earth where I could get in 15mn or so.
I left my coffee and cigarette with no remorse and grab my bag. I drove as fast as I could on the narrow winding roads that lead to the Refuge d'Orisson. It's quite well-known to people who undertake to Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage for it is one of the last before the spanish border when you come from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.
I arrived just before sunrise and was above the cloud inversion. I took many photos that morning, but I've chosen this one for the purpose of the assignment. I think we (nature photographers) live for that kind of moments when nature unveils its beauty to us. That morning will stay for long in my memory.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor