Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Whenever I can, I like to extend my weekend when visiting Joshua Tree National Park (my local park) and camp on Sunday night. Sunday evening is one of the quietest times in the park; the weekend visitors have left by late afternoon, which means that you have some quality time to enjoy the serenity and beauty of this unique desert landscape. This quiet time also allows you to visit those areas of the park that are often overcrowded during the weekend.
The other great advantage of doing this is getting an extra 'bonus' sunset and sunrise for photography before heading home. I spent a long evening driving around and exploring several different areas of the park, noting down all the spots that I wanted to return to at another time as the sunset wasn't that 'special' on this particular evening.
I got back to my campsite, made myself some dinner, and spent a few hours listening to the silence of the park around me and enjoying a good book by headlamp.
My campsite faced outwards onto this wide-open plain on this particular trip, and waking to my alarm clock, I was greeted by this incredible pre-dawn light slowly appearing over the ridgeline in the distance.
I grabbed my tripod and camera, walked no more than about 50 paces from my tent, and quickly composed several different views of this scene. I took portrait, landscape, and panorama images but preferred the panorama, highlighting the scene's scale. I cropped the pano to get this final image.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor